In which I make a nonworking fan from a working fan

I gutted my old PC the other day, and salvaged a few bits from it. First to get the terrain treatment is this small fan. Obligatory safety note: try not to electrocute yourself to death when disintegrating an old computer. I manage that first step, as this written report suggests. So here is what I did. First, I measured the sides of the fan (a smidge under 80mm), and cut some 2mm thick plasticard to provide four sides.

Photobucket

Of course, I had forgotten to allow for slightly longer sides so that the “walls” would join up. Anyway, I glued the walls to the fan.

Photobucket

Don’t do that! Unless you have my inability to cut a true square corner. That can lead to some very wonky buildings. Next cut some small supporting pieces. These will support the fan from beneath, so it isn’t reliant just on the glue to secure it in place. Try to ensure they aren’t too visible from the top side when you secure them in place.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Then I got a piece of 0.5mm thick plasticard sheet. Bearing in mind my earlier undermeasurement, I cut a square with a side of 85mm.

Photobucket

I trimmed a border 5mm deep around the edge, and cut the corners so that they would cover the edge of the fan’s casing.

Photobucket

Then I took the remnant 0.5mm plasticard sheet and trimmed the central 45mm portion into four 11mm wide strips.

Photobucket

Then I stuck these onto each corner. The aim for these pieces is for them to disguise the hollow corners. If you were more careful than I was, these can cover any minor errors. If you did it perfectly, they still look good, as they will look like corner supports once we’re done.

Photobucket

These should be left to dry for a while. In that time I shall work on some pieces to detail the rather bald side of the fan. Tune in again for Part II!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *